We recommend to identify the need for LTS as early as possible. Once you identify a critical problem, it is beneficial to have everything in place already to be able to address the issue in a within a short response time. As a preparational step, stop by the LTS Marketplace and the list of organizations providing the LTS infrastructure. Here you choose a maintenance provider that is a subject matter expert with regard to your faulty component.
Once you have discussed the business terms with the provider, he will work on solving your issues and provide a new version of the component to you. The infrastructure provider also provides the tools and functions that required to integrate and test the fix to your problem.
The benefits of this approach are obvious:
- duplication of work can be avoided by sharing of bug fixes
- the cost of operating the LTS infrastructure can be shared
- choosing from a variety of suppliers fosters competition and increases quality of service
- finding help is made easy in the Eclipse LTS marketplace
- suppliers can present themselves in the Eclipse LTS marketplace